Friday, June 27, 2008

We are here!

After roughly 30 hours of travel, we are here in Taipei! It's very surreal. We can't get the internet connection in our room to work, so we're down here typing away at breakfast (side note: it's strange to see both french toast and pork buns on Jeff's plate).

The flights and layover at LAX were long, but fortunately everything went relatively smoothly. On both the five hour flight from Cincinnati to LAX and the 14 hour flight from LAX to Taipei there were cute baby boys who were also incredibly well-behaved. Of course, all babies are that good on planes, right? RIGHT?? Our experience with EVA was great (we flew one class up from economy - best decision we ever made!) and we enjoyed our flight as much as it is possible to enjoy such things. During our flight I watched many movies ranging from pretty good ("The Spiderwick Chronicles") to bad ("Vantage Point","The Other Boleyn Girl") to so bad that I hope that no one else can see me watching this because I'm that embarrassed ("10,000 B.C."). We also had a nice meal of pork, mashed potatoes, broccoli, carrots, fruit, and something white. Even after eating most of it (notice how my failure to identify it did not prevent me from consuming it), I'm not sure what it was...Jeff thinks it was some sort of seafood salad, but I'm not convinced. So between the food, the movies, and occasional cat naps, we passed the time in air, arriving in only a moderately gross state at the end.

Mr Yeh and Alex met us at the airport last night. Both are very nice and we look forward to sightseeing with them. Today, we are just trying to adjust (I feel a nap coming on) and do a little bit of exploring in the sauna that is Taiwan in July. You know, even though I had read about the 90+ degree heat and humidity, it's pretty breathtaking in person.

I hope we can get both our internet and our toilet fixed in our room so I can post more later with pictures. Yes, we've been in the country for less than 24 hours and still have managed to partially destroy our room. :-)

Photobucket

5 comments:

Shana said...

So glad to hear you made it!! Wow, you watched a lot of movies, so I am guessing you didn't get much sleep? I remember our flight and I was the same way. Touching down in our kids' homeland was amazing! Can't wait to hear more!
-Shana

Chris said...

So glad the flight and arrival were uneventful-yes, naps are a very good thing, and I am sure some shopping will manage to revive you some too-there is a Starbucks nearby if that helps any, as well as a Mr Donut!!
Have a great time, and we will be checking for some pictures of your surviving the sauna!!
Hugs and Blessings
Chris

Anonymous said...

Amy and Jeff!
I am sooo happy to read your latest blog (I got on. yea!) AND that you're finally in Taiwan. I'm typing this Saturday night OUR time :) and you are only a full day away from meeting your son. WOW. I cannot wait to see any and all pictures you have.

Lots of love to both of you!
Love,
Libby

Melissa said...

So glad you all made it there safely. I hope you have a fabulous time and all goes well when you get your sweet Christian.

Crystal Dong said...

Try to stay cool. Hope you have great sightseeing. Waiting for your next post.