Sunday, January 16, 2011

Big update!

[Ahem, please ignore the fact that this blog hasn't been touched in almost two years...]

When Christian had been home for one year (back in July 2009), we decided to start the process to adopt another child.  Our first choice was to adopt again from Taiwan.  However, when I contacted Gladney (the agency that took over for Commonwealth when they shut down and is currently handling our post-placement reports), we were told that the program was currently not accepting any new applicants and to keep on checking back.  So, we filled out a pre-application form and got on the wait list.

After a few months of no movement, we heard around November that things were changing with the Taiwan program.  This seemed to us an ominous sign, so we started thinking about other options.  We also got on a wait list with another agency for Taiwan and I started looking into other countries.  I found an agency in Ohio that works with a small orphanage in Korea.  After doing some checking, we filled out yet another preliminary application form in early December 2009 and got on yet another wait list to start the application process! 

Finally, in May 2010 we received word that we could proceed with our formal application for South Korea.  We started the formal application paperwork and got that done at the end of June.  From August to November we then had our home study. It was a bit challenging since we were right in the middle of a major home renovation, but we made it through with no big problems.  We now were officially on the wait list for a referral!

On January 14, 2011, we received a call from our social worker informing us that we were matched with a beautiful little baby girl!  Wow!  This was a bit of a shocker since we weren't allowed to specify gender in our application and I was under the impression that boys were more common.  She was born on July 30, 2010 in Seoul.  We are planning on keeping her birth name of "Jinah"  (to my best knowledge "Jin" is pronounced like "Gene") as her middle name, but still haven't gotten a first name figured out.  Christian's first suggestion was "Mack" (from the Disney Cars movie) and then after reading "Curious George" volunteered the name "George" as well.  We are taking his suggestions under advisement. :-)

Anyway, we are now going to start a flurry of paperwork and begin the process to bring her home.  We are hoping that she will come here sometime in late spring or early summer, if all goes well.  This program is a bit different from Taiwan so we will not be traveling to South Korea - they escort the children to the U.S. 

And here are the pictures!!

First pictures from September.  Not a happy camper.  Look at that hair!!  I'm having flashbacks to Christian.



These pictures were taken in October with the foster mom.  She apparently is very attached to her foster mom and is a good eater and sleeper.  And of course has the most awesome hair ever:

Laughing with the foster mom - how cute is this???
And here are the latest pictures, taken in early December.  The hair is still awesome:


If this post sounds even remotely calm, it's because I've spent the last two days freaking out nonstop! She is absolutely gorgeous and we are just so thankful for this big little miracle!  I'm still in a daze...

[Technical note: Melissa, I'm so sorry that I mutilated your awesome original blog design!]

7 comments:

Chris said...

Amy,
I am so thrilled, I am speechless
Check out those chunky legs-I would say she likes to eat-what a good sign
And attached to fm, that is wonderful, and travel in a few months--even better
You are very blessed
Enjoy the one child syndrome-your life will NEVER be the same again!1

Love ya
Chris

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, many, many, congratulations! Jinah Mack George is soooooooooooo gorgeous, absolutely delish! Love the hair and the legs and the cheeks, just love her!

Her FM looks so lovely and it looks like she may have a little buddy!

What a thrill, so happy for you.

Robin said...

She really does have great hair. Love it! Congratulations on your beautiful new daghter. What a great suprise to have a girl joining the family. Best wishes for a fast process.

Rydley said...

She is completely delightful!!! Huge congratulations!!!

Shana said...

OMG, she is precious! And you are not kidding about her having the "Christian" hair! I love it! So happy for you all. I am so happy to share yet another part of your journey to become parents. You were such a support to me with Kyan and Mia, even before you had Christian, and I really appreciate that. I hope to reciprocate that support in the is next AMAZING adoption! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

She is so so beautiful!!!!!!!
Amy P

michelle said...

Amy-
So happy you followed your heart and instincts. Congrats on your adorable baby girl, love her in yellow, too, too, sweet.

Gosh, I'm just ever so happy for you, had to say it again!!!
mlynne
http://ourafricanbundleofjoy.blogspot.com